Thursday, February 14, 2013

2013 NBA All-Star Event Diary (Day 4)

Eight years ago I made my first trip to the NBA All-Star Jam Session (ASJS) right here in Houston, when I was an intern with FILO, and I’ve been fortunate to work every year since. This one got off to a bit of a rough start for me due to storm Nemo forcing the cancellation of flights out of NYC, but I was able to get out finally and ready to work when I landed.

Being an experienced veteran, I feel I can do anything sent my way. Whether it’s Janitorial Manager or Center Court Liaison, my attitude is to crush the task I’m given. Because I am known as an expert truck packer, I started unloading trucks right away. Pop-a-Shots have been a favorite of mine since my internship so I quickly moved to building those and, after finishing them in record time, I moved on to setting up hoops for the remainder of the day. Besides a good attitude the MUST HAVE this week is great footwear for the long 16-hour days of walking 10-plus miles, and I’ve already changed my shoes multiple times.

This year I have a few new FILO’s to mentor and it’s obvious the whole crew is great again. My team (who I refer to as the A-Team) consists of all rookies and I guarantee one of them will be the 2013 rookie of the year. It is a close race between Morgan, Mike and Phil, who have also crushed tasks this week. We are all looking forward to the rest of the long work week, but at the same time, can’t wait for the last truck to be packed so we can have a celebratory cocktail and get a good night’s sleep.

Written by:
Stephen Buron

No comments:

Post a Comment