Saturday, February 16, 2013

2013 NBA All-Star Event Diary (Day 5)

We've  heard from FILO veterans and management level, but how are the new-comers handling the biggest event FILO helps produce every year?  Well...rookie FILO member Brianna Mckenzie took 10 minutes out of her busy schedule to sit down and explain how her first ever FILO event is going.  Nothing like jumping in the deep-end, head-first right?

Tell me your first impression of FILO:   When I first walked into the office to talk to Carrie, I was immediately drawn to the attitude and style of FILO. I love the atmosphere and personality that the people and company have as a whole. You can instantly tell that the company is successful because of the people who work there and the attitude they all possess.

How did the first few days of set-up go?   The first few days can best be summed up in two words: organized chaos. I really didn't know what to expect when told I would be helping unload 16 semi-trucks and then building enough structures to fill a rather large facility, but the FILO team is nothing, if not supportive, motivated and hard-working. My first few days were exhausting, but rewarding.

What is your favorite thing about working at a FILO event?   My favorite thing has been seeing an empty facility turn into the madness that is NBA All-Star Jam Session. I love that such a small, dedicated group of people can make such a huge impact on the environment and mission they are focused on.

What is one thing you have learned at this event?   I have learned how to wire metal detectors. And nothing makes me happier.

How did you hear about/get involved with FILO?   My good friend, Dan Fosse, is currently on as a full-time employee for FILO and he recommended I check out what FILO and the NBA All-Star Jam Session were all about.

Would you come back again next year?   I would most definitely come back again.

What was the biggest surprise about doing this event (travel, labor, FILO attitude, anything, etc.)?   Again, I think the biggest surprise was how much set-up and building such a small group of people can do in such a short amount of time. I knew it was going to be hard work and long days, but seeing the end result has made it all worth it.

Written by:
Brianna Mckenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment