Wednesday, March 13, 2013

2013 NBA All-Star Event Diary (Special Edition -- Double Event)

With this being my 4th NBA All-Star Jam Session, I still feel like I am learning and experiencing something different every time. This year was nothing short of a new experience.

A couple weeks before we started loading trucks for Jam Session, FILO got the call to manage and produce the Detroit Pistons interactive area at SportsFest in Novi, Michigan. SportsFest is an awesome event where the four major sports teams (Pistons, Lions, Red Wings, Tigers) in Detroit come together and put on a festival for their fans.

This is the third consecutive year FILO has managed the Pistons portion, and the second where I was the lead FILO. In prior years, SportsFest was held the weekend before All-Star; this year, it landed on All-Star Saturday Night. For those who don’t know, this is the busiest day for Jam Session.

That’s when I knew this was going to be a very different All-Star.

My week stared just as any normal All-Star would; early morning lobby calls and long exhausting set-ups. For me the end of set-up is the most rewarding. Months of hard work preparing back in Minnesota, three full set-up days and finally seeing what you created, is very fulfilling.

Normally, I, along with entire crew would start to mentally and physically prepare for show days. I, however, had a plane to catch to Detroit.

One could look at having to go to Detroit during All-Star as a negative; however, I saw it as a great opportunity to hone my event management skills and learn a few things.

SportsFest was a success, the crew and I did well. It was nice having a couple seasoned vets along with me (Tyler Eischens and Mike Steadman). Those guys, along with newbie Cotter Kelly made my life easier.

Was my week over? Back home to Minnesota? Nope, the next morning I was back in the sky, headed to Houston to help tear down Jam Session.

From the moment I got off the plane, I was back in high gear, preparing myself for 18 hours of breaking down, what seems like I just helped build.

I learned a lot this All-Star and will take all these experiences as great knowledge.

Written by:
Tom Butina

No comments:

Post a Comment